The discussion forums in the XSEDE User Portal are for users to share experiences, questions, and comments with other users and XSEDE staff. Visitors are welcome to browse and search, but you must login to contribute to the forums. While XSEDE staff monitor the lists, XSEDE does not guarantee that questions will be answered. Please note that the forums are not a replacement for formal support or bug reporting procedures through the XSEDE Help Desk. You must be logged in to post to the user forums.

« Back

Make an environment that can be accessed by the public?

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Dear all,
I'm new to the Jetstream/XSEDE environment. I was pointed in this direction because I have developed some programs that are used for interpreting mass spectrometry data. I want to publish those programs but to do so I need to make them readily accessible to reviewers. So someone suggested that I create a virtual machine on Jetstream and share it with the reviewers.

In discussion with the journal though, I was told that for anonymity's sake the reviewers need to be able to access the system *without registration or login*. So they must not create an XSEDE account in order to access the system.

I was wondering if it was still possible to use this avenue though, by creating a virtual machine that would be publicly accessible without registration or login. Again I'm very new to this system so I don't know if what I'm asking for is impossible or what, but I'm wondering if it can be done on Jetstream. I did a search for this both on https://portal.xsede.org/jetstream and on these forums and didn't think I found an answer, which is why I'm asking here.

Thank you for your time

RE: Make an environment that can be accessed by the public?
Answer
7/7/20 3:49 AM as a reply to John F B.
Yes. You could use a Jetstream VM.
You’d have to:
* get an allocation
* request enough service units (cores * hours) to cover a server running during the window of time the reviewers would use it. It would likely need to be 24/7 since you wouldn’t know when the reviewers would access the VM.
* request API access because standard access does not include a static IP
* deploy a VM and customize it with your software stack
* create one or more custom user accounts unique to your VM, the credentials of which could be shared with reviewers

The only problematic part would be making sure the VM was deployed during a window you KNEW the reviewers would use it. You could of course request 8760 x cores to run 24/7/365 but that’s brute force.

There are smarter more elegant ways to do this that I’d be happy to talk to you about. I also recommend you consider talking to the folks at https://sciencegateways.org to get advice.

-Brian Beck

help@jetstream-cloud.org